AT&T now offers a plan for seniors

Following VZW , AT&T Mobility targets seniors with new calling plan AT&T Mobility launched a service offering tailored to seniors, following ...

Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

Default AT&T now offers a plan for seniors

Following VZW, AT&Ticon Mobility targets seniors with new calling plan

AT&Ticon Mobility launched a service offering tailored to seniors, following a similar recent move by Verizonicon Wireless.

The new AT&T Senior Nation 200 plan includes 200 anytime minutes, 500 off-peak calling minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling for $30 per month. The company said the new plan, available starting today, is “the perfect wireless option for those whose wireless lifestyle no longer requires large bundles of minutes.” Proof of age is required in order to purchase the plan, which is targeted at customers ages 65 and older.

Wireless companies have taken new interest in products for seniors, with penetration rates high among other segments of the population. Verizon Wireless introduced a plan in September that catered to those 65 and older; the single-line plan is mirrored by AT&T Mobility’s offer, and Verizon Wireless also offers a two-line plan option with 450 shared anytime minutes and 1,000 shared off-peak calling for $60 per month, and can be used with a handset with special features for seniors, including larger font sizes for menus and highly visible buttons.

Mobile virtual network operator Jitterbug also targets the elderly market segment.

Following VZW, AT&T Mobility targets seniors with new calling plan - RCR Wireless News

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Images

Default Re: AT&T now offers a plan for seniors

Can AT&Ticon not come up with anything on their own these days?

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
    Following VZW, AT&Ticon Mobility targets seniors with new calling plan

AT&Ticon Mobility launched a service offering tailored to seniors, following a similar recent move by Verizonicon Wireless.

The new AT&T Senior Nation 200 plan includes 200 anytime minutes, 500 off-peak calling minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling for $30 per month. The company said the new plan, available starting today, is “the perfect wireless option for those whose wireless lifestyle no longer requires large bundles of minutes.” Proof of age is required in order to purchase the plan, which is targeted at customers ages 65 and older.

Wireless companies have taken new interest in products for seniors, with penetration rates high among other segments of the population. Verizon Wireless introduced a plan in September that catered to those 65 and older; the single-line plan is mirrored by AT&T Mobility’s offer, and Verizon Wireless also offers a two-line plan option with 450 shared anytime minutes and 1,000 shared off-peak calling for $60 per month, and can be used with a handset with special features for seniors, including larger font sizes for menus and highly visible buttons.

Mobile virtual network operator Jitterbug also targets the elderly market segment.

Following VZW, AT&T Mobility targets seniors with new calling plan - RCR Wireless News
    And why is it that they won't allow anyone else who's not age eligible from getting these plans? I guess I must be a real old-timer since I remember most all the companies offered $20 plans with not many minutes on them for those who were not heavy users.

Resident Spamslayer Jay2TheRescue's Avatar
    Phone(s)
    HTC Vivid LTE
    Moto V551, iPAQ 6515
    Western Electric 302, 500
    Ericsson Ericophone
    Provider(s)
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Devices
    Zune 30gb & way too many BT devices to list
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Telekom View Post
    And why is it that they won't allow anyone else who's not age eligible from getting these plans? I guess I must be a real old-timer since I remember most all the companies offered $20 plans with not many minutes on them for those who were not heavy users.
    Yeah, but that was only 8 years ago.

-Jay
    http://www.speedtest.net/android/256739406.png

Wireless Guru
    Phone(s)
    iphone 3gs 32black
    nokia 6230
    moto,v600
    moto,v551
    Provider(s)
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    Devices
    m3000,hs810, Sirius,sportster,w/boombox,
    Images

Wirelessly posted (Walkguru's: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1716; en; U; ssr))

the old timers get a break.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/90674468.png

Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night, because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
    ~George Orwell

Phone(s)
    Galaxy S4 GE
    Galaxy Nexus
    Nokia N8
    Sony Ericsson K850i
    Provider(s)
    AT&T; T-Mobile To Go; MTS; e-kit
    Devices
    Palm TX, PRS-950, Kobo Aura HD

Because some marketing honcho would like you to believe that your "wireless lifestyle" depends on your age and nothing else

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Quote Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
    Yeah, but that was only 8 years ago.

-Jay
    Not really. T-Mobileicon as late as a couple years ago offered a $20 plan with 60 anytime minutes with 500 weekend minutes.

T-Mobileicon still offers a $30 plan with 300 anytime minutes and unlimited weekends. They did offer this same plan with 500 text messages or 300 text messages plus 1 MB of data.

This plan (the $30 plan) is still available though it is not listed as a plan on their web site. They (like the others used to) would prefer that you get a $40 plan. They really would prefer though that you get a $60 per month plan. $40 is the "norm" now.

Phone(s)
    iPhone
    Provider(s)
    Vodafone

I liked Cingulars original reason for doing away with the plan. To simplify things for customers, they went from nine plans to six plans.

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Simon5282 View Post
    I liked Cingulars original reason for doing away with the plan. To simplify things for customers, they went from nine plans to six plans.
    I highly doubt that they took away lower end plans to simplify things for customers, but rather for their own bottom line.

Phone(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Nexus 7 LTE
    Images

So funny I just switched my PAYG plan to the $30 PYP today to hopefully get more roaming/ data roaming in my area. I would jump on this plan if it was available to everyone just to get a break on a new or refurb phone/device.

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by budney View Post
    So funny I just switched my PAYG plan to the $30 PYP today to hopefully get more roaming/ data roaming in my area. I would jump on this plan if it was available to everyone just to get a break on a new or refurb phone/device.
    How come you don't list AT&Ticon in your profile?

How are Data services on Sprinticon working out for you?

Phone(s)
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Provider(s)
    AT&T
    Devices
    Nexus 7 LTE
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    How come you don't list AT&Ticon in your profile?

How are Data services on Sprinticon working out for you?
    I just got it not to long ago, and not sure if I am going to keep it if I can't use/test data around town. Data on Sprinticon is great! They still need to activate EVDO in the southern part of Bullhead all the way to Needles. Even with 1X speed test come back between 100-125 kbps.

Phone(s)
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Nokia 6030, Nokia 6310i
    Nokia 8310,
    Provider(s)
    Devices
    iPod Nano

Ha! To simplify things. The reason they did it was to make people take plans that were better for their bottom line. Taking away cheap plans and making the $40 or $50 or $60 plan is "simpler" so you can't take cheap plans. The alternative is a prepaid plan where for $30 you get no minutes at all except perhaps within the carrier.

Easy,Cheap & Sleazy
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

We are talking about having this available for people with normally lower incomes so they can have a Cell phone. Yes it's a way to make a few more bucks, but it does make it easier for seniors to have one.
    If you look at it thru the AARP, that is what they do is try to make things cheaper for seniors on services.
    Go to the movies or out to eat, they offer discounts to seniors, does this mean everyone should pay the same for these too?

Ha! To simplify things. The reason they did it was to make people take plans that were better for their bottom line. Taking away cheap plans and making the $40 or $50 or $60 plan is "simpler" so you can't take cheap plans. The alternative is a prepaid plan where for $30 you get no minutes at all except perhaps within the carrier.
    This is what Cingular said when they changed their plans, that it was to make things easier for the customers.
    If that's the case, then maybe they need to make their data plans simplified as well. We know it was to get rid of the cheaper plans, but it did make it easier on the choices when they did get rid of some of the middle priced/min plans.

Phone(s)
    iPhone
    Provider(s)
    Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I highly doubt that they took away lower end plans to simplify things for customers, but rather for their own bottom line.
    Everyone knew this, but their excuse was so lame it was funny. Also, I am a sarcastic person, (even though it can be hard to tell in a forum setting) so what I really meant was I thought it was pathetic and disgusting!!!

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Motorola Atrix HD (Wife)
    Provider(s)
    at&t
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Fire14 View Post
    The new AT&Ticon Senior Nation 200 plan includes 200 anytime minutes, 500 off-peak calling minutes and unlimited mobile-to-mobile calling for $30 per month.
    In 2001 and 2002, my plan was 250 minutes for $29.99. This included 1,500 (I believe) off-peak minutes....and did not include mobile to mobile. This was a normal offered plan six years ago......hmmmm, something doesn't smell right here!

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shizam76 View Post
    In 2001 and 2002, my plan was 250 minutes for $29.99. This included 1,500 (I believe) off-peak minutes....and did not include mobile to mobile. This was a normal offered plan six years ago......hmmmm, something doesn't smell right here!
    Hey, you are right, so did I. I had forgotten about it. I switched to my now plan in 2004.

Everyone knew this, but their excuse was so lame it was funny. Also, I am a sarcastic person, (even though it can be hard to tell in a forum setting) so what I really meant was I thought it was pathetic and disgusting!!!
    Lol, I don't know about that, I do my sarcasm pretty well in a forum setting.
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5 > Motorola Moto X > iPhone 5s

Phone(s)
    HTC Thunderbolt
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Provider(s)
    Images

Haha, got ya. Well once we get to know you better we will have no problem sensing your sarcasm.

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Motorola Atrix HD (Wife)
    Provider(s)
    at&t
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyee View Post
    Hey, you are right, so did I. I had forgotten about it. I switched to my now plan in 2004.
    Wow..you were on the same plan? That was back when I didn't talk much. Now I am lucky to have any of the 1400 minutes left well...my wife uses them too

Lol, I don't know about that, I do my sarcasm pretty well in a forum setting.
    You? Sarcastic? Never!!

Fresh Member
    Phone(s)
    motorola RAZZR
    Provider(s)
    Verizon

I signed up with Cingular on a Thursday in February of 2005. My plan then, and now, was 250 minutes with 1,000 night and weekend. I know it was a Thursday because I signed up early because Cingular was going to drop the plan to 200 anytime minutes that weekend.

So it was really just two and a half years ago that Cingular offered a $29.99 plan to everybody that was actually better than what they are going to offer now.

Phone(s)
    iPhone
    Provider(s)
    Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by NFrabbit View Post
    .......So it was really just two and a half years ago that Cingular offered a $29.99 plan to everybody that was actually better than what they are going to offer now.
    Yup, always improving.

My sarcasm got me banned from another forum. I forgot which one though.

Fresh Member
    Phone(s)
    motorola RAZZR
    Provider(s)
    Verizon

I am 62 and retired so in most cases I fit and get the senior citizen discounts. In my opinion the plan as described really doesn't really excite me.

1. Many seniors, particularly older ones who live alone, get one or more calls a day from their children. Although the question asked is "How are you doing Mom/Dad?" I think you know what the real question being asked is. Consequently a good senior citizen plan would include something like Alltel's MyCircle. Maybe 4 or 5 numbers that could be called or calls could be received from without being charged to any bucket.

2. For a retired person there is no distinction between days of the week and weekends. Also, many older people, actually go to bed quite early and get up very early. Consequently the night minutes are not that valuable, plus try to explain to some 80 year olds why there is a difference between call types. So I would propose that a simple bucket 500-700 anytime minutes would be more valuable.

Just my $.02 worth and maybe this is asking for too much. However I do get my coffee for $.75 a cup at McDonalds every morning, with free refills, and you young wipper snappers are paying about $1.10.

Phone(s)
    iPhone 5s
    Moto X
    Nokia Asha 311
    Provider(s)
    at&t/Docomo/Airtel
    Devices
    iPad Air
    Images

Wow..you were on the same plan? That was back when I didn't talk much. Now I am lucky to have any of the 1400 minutes left well...my wife uses them too
    You? Sarcastic? Never!!
    Yes, I certainly did, although I think as NFRabbit posted, it may have been 1000 NW not 1500 now that I think about it.

True, me sarcastic never.
    Quote Originally Posted by NFrabbit View Post
    I signed up with Cingular on a Thursday in February of 2005. My plan then, and now, was 250 minutes with 1,000 night and weekend..
    My sarcasm got me banned from another forum. I forgot which one though.
    Wow, you got banned from a forum and you don't remember which one? Very Interesting.
    The SmartPhone Parade (2006-Now)

QTEK 9100 > Samsung Blackjack > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > BB 9700 > Xperia X10 > Motorola Atrix > HTC Vivid > Lumia 900 > Lumia 820 > iPhone 5 > Motorola Moto X > iPhone 5s

Phone(s)
    iPhone
    Provider(s)
    Vodafone

What were the other plans?

I remember the:

30/250, and the 50/600. That only makes a total of eight. What am I missing??

.............Wow, you got banned from a forum and you don't remember which one? Very Interesting.
    ::SHAKES HEAD::

Easy,Cheap & Sleazy
    Threadstarter
    Phone(s)
    EnV
    V750
    Provider(s)
    Verizon
    Images

::SHAKES HEAD::
    You can't remember which board you got banned from? Geez I would think that would be something I would remember.

Phone(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S III
    Motorola Atrix HD (Wife)
    Provider(s)
    at&t
    Images

Yes, I certainly did, although I think as NFRabbit posted, it may have been 1000 NW not 1500 now that I think about it.
    Ahhh! It was 1,000 NW....Man it was so long ago

Thread Information