Replacement phone activation.

One of the kids lost his phone and i bought a V-262 ALLTEL phone for him to use until the good ...

Default Replacement phone activation.

One of the kids lost his phone and i bought a V-262 ALLTEL phone for him to use until the good one turns up. With the help of the alltel hotline we tried to activate it, but the *228 wouldn't work because i'm in an area where alltel piggybacks from Verizonicon towers. when i dial 611 with the phone, i get the "thanks for calling alltel" and they recognize the correct number, but dialing any other number gives me Verizonicon wireless. we also tried to manually activate the phone with the 74**3#menu/menu method and got the same result. Is there any way to activate the phone other than taking it back to my home base area? i'll be there next week, but i'm kind of curious as to how the system works. thanks.

Default Re: Replacement phone activation.

If manual programming didn't work, you'll have to use an Alltel tower.

Threadstarter

thanks, i kinda' figured that.

Quote Originally Posted by grazzzy View Post
    One of the kids lost his phone and i bought a V-262 ALLTEL phone for him to use until the good one turns up. With the help of the alltel hotline we tried to activate it, but the *228 wouldn't work because i'm in an area where alltel piggybacks from Verizonicon towers. when i dial 611 with the phone, i get the "thanks for calling alltel" and they recognize the correct number, but dialing any other number gives me Verizonicon wireless. we also tried to manually activate the phone with the 74**3#menu/menu method and got the same result. Is there any way to activate the phone other than taking it back to my home base area? i'll be there next week, but i'm kind of curious as to how the system works. thanks.
    You could call CS via a landline at 1-800-Alltel1 and have CS walk you through a manual activation.

Threadstarter

i tried the manual with CS, and all we could pick up was a Verizonicon tower. I'm headed to my home base area monday and it should activate there.

Quote Originally Posted by grazzzy View Post
    i tried the manual with CS, and all we could pick up was a Verizonicon tower. I'm headed to my home base area monday and it should activate there.
    A manual activation does not require the phone to hit ANY tower. It is all done manually. You may not be able to test it afterwards without roaming charges, depending on your rate plan, but you CAN manually enter the proper data - even in an area that has NO cell service at all.

Threadstarter

that's what we thought too, but the only alltel service we get is when dialing 611. everything else gives us a Verizonicon message. funny thing is we can even check minutes of use [-0- since the old phone was lost at the end of the billing period], but no incoming or outgoing calls.

Threadstarter

Quote Originally Posted by bikebryan View Post
    A manual activation does not require the phone to hit ANY tower. It is all done manually. You may not be able to test it afterwards without roaming charges, depending on your rate plan, but you CAN manually enter the proper data - even in an area that has NO cell service at all.
    You were right after all. i tried again today with a different rep. the guy the other night had me read numbers from under the battery and this guy had me go into the menus of the phone for the i.d. #. works like a charm now. thanks for the heads up.

Thread Information